Thursday, October 18, 2012

The letter

Ana lay the flowers down, and got a rag and bottle of all purpose cleaner out of her duffle bag. She kneeled in front of the tombstone, and sprayed it, and gently rubbed the winters grime away from the words on the stone.
She leaned back, and gently smiled. Her aunt had always been meticolous about things like that. Everything had to be cleaned at least twice before going on to the next thing. Never do it just once, that gives the impression that you do not care.
Josiah picked the flowers up, and put them in the urn next to the tombstone. But he did not say a word, he knew that Ana had always been very close to her aunt, especially once her parents died.
Emmeline had taken Ana in when she was 5 years old. A scared, and shy child, who had lost her parents in the most horrible way a person can. Emmeline held Ana, and nursed her in the best way she knew how. She and Ana ended up having an even better relatationship than most mother and daughters. They were always very close, and had a connection that could never be broken by death.
“When I was nine, Emmeline walked in my room one day, and gave me a key. She said that now that I was nine, and about to begin a different stage in my life, she wanted to give me that key. She was giving the key to my door, so that if I ever felt the need to lock her or anyone else out of my room, I was allowed to. I never used that key.”
Ana reached up to her neck, and began fingering the key that was on a chain.
“I always wondered where that key came from, but I figured it was something from your parents.”
“Emmeline gave me the freedom and confidence to always trust other people, I only partially wear the key in memory of her. I also wear it to remind myself that even if others lock us out of their lives, I will always allow those within my heart to have the freedom to roam within my life.”
Ana then noticed there was something sticking out of the ground near the corner of the tombstone. She pulled at it, it was a plastic sandwich zip bag with a paper within it. She took the paper out and unfolded it, and began to read:
“My dearest sister, I am so sorry things happened in this way. You were never supposed to get involved, I wish things had been different. When you took Ana in for us....”
Ana gasped and stood up, and looked around as if looking for someone. Josiah stood up next to her and took the paper from her. He quickly read the entire letter, and then took Ana into his arms, he knew she would be needing him when she finished the letter.
“Josiah, who would be so mean to write a letter like that! My parents died! They didnt survive the bombing, I know they didn't!” Ana leaned into Josiah and let him hold her.
“Ana, I do not know how far you got into the letter, but you need to finish it, it is really important.”
Ana took a deep breath and pulled back from Josiah, and then took the letter back, and again began reading:
“My dearest sister, I am so sorry things happened in this way. You were never supposed to get involved, I wish things had been different. When you took Ana in for us, it was the best solution all around. I will never forgive myself for what I put Ana through. She never deserved any of that pain and suffering. But Luke and I could not stay alive any longer. The bomb was not supposed to do as much damage as it did, it was only supposed to look like it took out our corner of the building, but it unfortunately took out the entire building. I will never forgive myself for that. Thank you for sending us pictures of Ana as she grew up, that made things both easier, and harder. I just hope Ana will forgive us when she finds out who her true parents are.

Your loving Sister,
Amelia”

Ana fell the ground, her legs no longer had the strength to hold her up, and there were tears streaming down her face. Ana's head was spinning with so many questions, she did not know the first one to ask. She looked to Josiah, and one question came out of her mouth:
“What the hell is going on?”

1 comment: