Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Writing Assignment One

http://www.my-creativeteam.com/blog/creativity-boost-3-dictionary-excursion/
Today, we’re heading to the dictionary for a creativity boost. Here’s what I want you to do:
You’re going to select six words and use them to write a story of less than 250 words. You will select your six words from:
page 52, 11th word down
page 111, 2nd word down
page 144, 1st word down
page 199, 9th word down
page 225, 12th word down
page 243, 6th word down
Now, that you have your six words, open the dictionary at random, close your eyes and select a word. That word will provide the subject of your story.
Use the first three words in your opening paragraph. The last three words may be sprinkled throughout the story.

(This is SO hard to do!! None of my words have anything to do with eachother, giving them cohesion is impossible!)
Subject word: Mosquito
angler, bartend, blind alley, canned, Chanukah, cincture
The Mosquito
Mike’s bar was down a blind alley that people usually associate with muggers and prostitutes. But anyone who stumbled across it, would be surprised. It’s an Irish Pub with hunting and fishing themes. Mike was an angler and fisherman on his weekends off. The bar was called The Mosquito, and Mke was not just the owner, but a bartenders too.
Mikes dad had started the bar when he was three, he loved fishing, drinking, and being married to Mikes mom. She was Jewish, and he called her his Jewish Princess. She delighted in all things Jewish, the holidays, the Torah, even the diet.
Usually on the very first day of Chanukah, Mike closed the bar and went fishing, while he hired a company to kosher clean the bar.
He got to the bar early that first morning, waiting for the cleaning company, finding his ex girlfriend waiting for him.
“Ihis is a surprise, didn’t expected to see you.”
“I know, I messed things up, I came to ask you a question.”
Mike lifted his eyebrows in question.
“I got fired from my job, and I am needing another job.”
“You? Canned? You are an accountant, what did you do, extortion?”
Miranda got a pained look on her face. “Do you really think that badly of me? No, its simply was last hired, first fired.”
“I’m sorry, I think I can let you do something.”
Mike smiled and opened his arms so he could cincture her in his arms.

Because it had to have a 250 word limit, the story sucks, I had a much better version, but it just was way too long!

No comments:

Post a Comment