Thursday, March 4, 2010

Books are now becoming interactive.

They are not just something to curl up with on a rainy day and get lost in. Over the past few months I have read about three books that are in this manner: Hindi-Bindi Club, Friday Night Knitting Club and The Fiction Class. In the Hindi-Bindi Club there were a number of recipes, in Friday Night Knitting Club, there were recipes and instructions on knitting ideas (which I ignored because I know zilch on knitting!) In the Fiction Class, there were assignments on how to learn to write fiction. All three books were fiction, womens fiction, which is not something I normally read, but I have been giving it a chance lately (and it helped that Hindi-Bindi Club and Friday Night Knitting Club were Book Club reads.) I have been noticing this trend lately of including the reader. Most of the time it is a cozy mystery, which either includes recipes or other things. I have also read a couple of books that include websites where the author has made the book/plot, taking it from fiction and making it our alternate world. For example: The Davinci Code, on the website you are sent on a quest to figure out a mystery. The Grail Conspiracy (I believe is the name) with this one, the author acts as tho this is real life. Harry Potter, what you mean he ISNT real?????? Just kidding. Of course there are alot of HP sites, and I belong to a couple myself. Have we as a readers changed so much that we have to something along with our reading? Are we unable to just sit and relax and enjoy? Although I do have to admit that I have nearly always been one to *interact* with my reading, I am always taking notes, jotting little ideas, or writing down profound thoughts. My notebook is rarely far from my fingertips. But I still enjoy a rainy day, a cup of tea on my front porch with a good book!! Hail to the book, may it never lose its glue!

No comments:

Post a Comment